Friday, September 2, 2011

Song Challenge, Track 6: Song(s) That Remind You of a Certain Event

"Rodeo"
-Aaron Copland
(so not the best recording I could find of this, but you can pretty much find a version of it anywhere. Do your own looking.)
Halloween Concerts.
Anyone who was there will understand.


"Crack a Bottle"
-Eminem
Okay, this is really kind of a despicable song, but it always reminds of the times my friends and I drove to the boys' away basketball games. Particularly the one against Minico, which was important to me for more than one reason.
We thought we were real gangsta, blasting this song with the windows down and our Burley green on.
We weren't, really.



"Con Te Partiro"
-Andrea Bocelli
My sophomore year of high school was the best public schoool orchestra experience I ever had. It was my first year of high school, and my last year with my incredible orchestra teacher who had to retire and left us in the hands of a trumpet performance major who had no interest in strings whatsoever and who made the very big mistake of making enemies with me. (Phew. Still not over it. Sorry.)
I made a lot of good friends with the seniors that year, and the reason why this song sticks so personally with me is because we played it for their Baccalaureate before they all left.

And finally:

"Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis"
-Ralph Vaughan Williams
Sinfonietta Tour 2010.
I'm still trying to finish my post that describes how amazing this trip was. It's hard to get the words down right.
When Bro T sent me the recording of this song to practice over winter break, I kinda fell for it. When I got to the first rehearsal, it won me over completely. As we travelled, playing it almost every night for 2 weeks, it got deeper and deeper under my skin. Vaughan Williams has a gift for evoking emotion. I love this piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'M GOING TO BOISE IDAHO!

I'm pretty sure I can count on one hand the number of times I've been to Idaho's capital. Counting occasions and not separate...