Sunday, September 18, 2011

Remember.

I remember being late to school.
I remember my dad keeping quiet, trying to hear the radio, as he drove me to Big Valley Elementary.
I remember waiting for the usually punctual office secretary to return to her place to check me in.


I can still see all the teachers gathered in the library, huddled around the one "big-screen" TV.
It's something I can never forget.


I remember walking into my classroom and hearing my friends wonder what was going on, where the teacher was.
I remember thinking, "I know where she is..."


I still see my teacher walking in; it was clear she had been crying. I remember the classroom falling silent. I remember her coming to the front of the classroom, and explaining, in extremely simple and platonic terms, what had happened. I remember the look on her face as she told us that, in a few minutes' time, we would all sing our nation's anthem, together, doors open, every class and student in the entire school.


 I will never forget the sound of our collective Elementary-school voice singing the National Anthem, the strength of every voice layered over the others, the show of solidarity and pride no one could ever take or change.


I remember running home straight to my parents' room. I remember my mom in front of the television, holding my baby sister, watching as reporter after reporter after reporter tried to make sense of what happened; as footage of the burning towers, the smoking pentagon, the desperate souls who flung themselves out of windows to escape whatever hell they were enduring, rolled on and over again.


I was only ten, but I remember quite clearly every detail, every worry, heartbreak, clenched fist, sick stomach, horrified face. It is something I will always remember because I quite literally can never forget.


Ten years later, and how much we have changed. How much we have learned.
How much we have hurt.

I have no interest in discussing the politics of this event--those who do are showing blatant and despicable disresepct for the heartache thousands of people suffered that day and continue to suffer even now--but I will say this: whatever else about him you may say--and I say this to you whether you are a strict Republican or a hardcore Democrat, I don't really care--President Bush will forever have a place in my heart. I will forever have a strong connection and compassion for that man for what he endured on this day ten years ago.




What would you say? What could you do? How on earth would you react any differently than he does?
For right now, I don't care what followed this day in his presidency, what aspects of his time in office people choose to criticize, I will forever remember him as the president who helped our nation through this time of tragedy and fear; the president who tried to shelter a classroom of young children from the inevitable evil of the world for just a moment longer. I will forever remember and be grateful.


For all those affected more personally than others by this day ten years ago, I send my prayers and thoughts of strength, love, and support to you.
You and your loss is forever etched in our minds and hearts; we will never forget.
We honor you and your loved ones now gone, and take this day, each and every year, to remember and strengthen our will, our resolve, our promise, to go on as before, to live our lives well in honor of those we have lost.


Ten years ago today, the evil of the world attempted to show just what we, as Americans, are made of.

Unfortunately for them, they succeeded.
We are strong. We are proud and tough. We are united. We remain standing.

Though to be honest, we are not always on our feet.
Quite often we are on our knees.
But that should scare you even more.


9/11/01.
Always Remember.
God Bless America.







Written 9/11/11



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'M GOING TO BOISE IDAHO!

I'm pretty sure I can count on one hand the number of times I've been to Idaho's capital. Counting occasions and not separate...