Tuesday, July 19, 2011

BYU-I Alumni Orchestra Concert

This semester has been full of amazing repertoire.
First, Beethoven 5 and the Dvorak Carnival Overture.
Yes, please.


The second concert rep?
Tchaikovsky 1 and Brahms Academic Overture.
But this concert was going to be even more epic.
Because it was an Alumni event.


Brother Tueller told me about this concert way back in March, when I made my little trip back to Rexburg for the symphony concert, and though it sounded fun at the time, I had no idea how much AWESOME was going to be compiled into one day.

Basically, any alumni who had ever played with the BYU-I or Ricks College Symphony Orchestra was invited back to play with the current symphony in an epic concert on a Saturday afternoon.

The concert was awesome. Our cello section was HUGE, we had over five basses, and our brass section almost literally blew everyone away. (No, really, it was so loud you practically couldn't hear anything else.) It didn't always come through together, and it wasn't anywhere near perfect, but it was SO FUN and so worth it.

And I got to see some people I absolutely adore and miss with all my heart!!

Like my beautiful friend Sarah!!

I seriously have missed this girl so much! We really only got to spend one semester together, and then two incredible weeks on tour in Canada, but she is one of my closest friends and I love her lots! Sarah has taught me so much; about cello, about life, about music, about the gospel, and about being a good person. I don't know what I'd do without her!
We even got to be stand partners for this concert, which never happened before!


Heather and I!
She is literally one of the sweetest people I know! She's technically "graduated" from the music program, so it was great to have her come play with us again! I have never seen Heather grumpy or short-tempered with anyone. She has such a big heart and one of the best laughs ever!

Charity!!!!!
I first got to know Charity over a weekend in Bellingham, WA, and I absolutely adore this girl. I can't even describe all of the things I've learned from her! From tips on memorization and how to beat performance jitters, to tips about life, to good jokes and great conversation, she has been such a huge blessing in my life! She should totally come back and take over the Bass studio when Bro Miller leaves... ;)

With Sarah as my stand partner, David right in front of us, and Charity just behind me in the bass section, it was totally like old times. It might sound weird to say, but it was such a comfort to have these incredible people in my life again. Everything felt so...back to normal.

A really good mix of the "old" and the new.

And speaking of new.


Okay, so he's actually not new. I've "known" him since my first semester, but this semester I've really gotten to know this kid, and, oh my goodness, I'm glad I did.

While the concert was like a reminder of the "good ol days," it was also Spencer's last BYU-I Symphony Orchestra concert.
What a bittersweet mix.


The concert was so fun. It was a long, loud, emotional day, but SO worth it.
Even though it was such a headache for poor Bro Tueller, I hope they keep doing these Alumni events! It was so wonderful to see "old" friends again, and really awesome to meet a bunch of past generations of musicians that we never would have known otherwise.

Plus, anytime you can get a bass section of over 5 and over 8 French Horns, you've got to take it, right??

Well.
Maybe minus the whole "8 French Horns" thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'M GOING TO BOISE IDAHO!

I'm pretty sure I can count on one hand the number of times I've been to Idaho's capital. Counting occasions and not separate...